Let’s try this again… some where along the course of blogging I made an error, as the blog I anticipated would hold the first position on the eighth page of the Funkalicious Blog, ended up as the fourth one? I don’t know, but it gives me an excuse to talk about FUNKY #9. How can a number be FUNKY you may be thinking…
Jimi Hendrix’s song “If 6 was 9” is sho’ nuff FUNKY; that old song from “School House Rock”, “Naughty Number Nine” was FUNKY too; lest not forget Prince’s “1999” – UNDENIABLY FUNKY!!! “Got myself an Uzi and my brother a Nine” is a line taken from Boogie Down Production’s classic “The Bridge is Over”, although it was FUNKY then, it wouldn’t be well received as a lyric in a rap song today.
On cloud nine means happy, euphoric or “high”. The phrase came into use in the 1950s from a term used by the US Weather Bureau. For the meteorologists “Cloud Nine” is cumulo-nimbus cloud at a height of 10 km, which is high even by the standard of clouds. The Temptations released their “Cloud Nine” LP on February 17, 1969. The song “Cloud Nine” won Motown its first Grammy Award in 1969 for “Best Rhythm & Blues Group Performance, Vocal or Instrumental.” It went to number 2 on the Billborad R&B Chart and at number 6 on the pop chart.
Here’s 9 Other FUNKY Facts about the Number 9…
1) Only about one ninth of the mass of an iceberg is visible above the water. Nearly all its bulk remains hidden beneath the surface.
2) The expression to the nines means to the highest degree. Someone dressed “to the nines” is dressed up as much as they can be.
3) In French the word neuf means both nine and new. In German, the words for nine and new are neun and neu, and in Spanish, nueve and nuevo. As you count and reach the number nine, you know you are about to make a new start.
4) A human pregnancy ordinarily lasts for nine months.
5) Nine judges sit on the United States Supreme Court.
7) Important Buddhist rituals usually involve nine monks.
8) Nine Eleven is the day of the attacks on the World Trade Center, New York, USA.
9) If you multiply nine by any whole number (except zero), and repeatedly add the digits of the answer until it’s just one digit, you will end up with nine.
Some unfortunate occurrences involving the number-9 are amidst American history. During the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013, two pressure cooker bombs exploded at 2:49 p.m., killing 3 people and injuring 264. The suspect, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, was found hiding in a boat just outside the area where the police had been conducting door-to-door searches all day, according to Watertown Boston police commissioner, Edward Davis.
According to school authorities, the school’s security protocol had recently been upgraded, requiring visitors to be individually admitted after visual and identification review by video monitor. The doors to the school were locked at 9:30 am each day, after morning arrivals. Some time before 9:30 a.m.EST on Friday, December 14, 2012, Lanza fatally shot his mother, Nancy Lanza, age 52, at their Newtown home. Lanza then drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School. At about 9:35 am, using his mother’s high powered rifle, he shot his way through a locked glass door at the front of the school.
The Columbine High School massacre was a school shooting which occurred on April 20, 1999, in the State of Colorado. In addition to shootings, the complex and highly planned attack involved a fire bomb to divert firefighters, propane tanks converted to bombs placed in the cafeteria, 99 explosive devices, and bombs rigged in cars. Two senior students, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered a total of 12 students and one teacher. They injured 21 additional students, with three other people being injured while attempting to escape the school. The pair then committed suicide.
for the FUNK of Number 9