Flagg Brothers Couture – Circa 1970’s

Flagg Brothers Couture – Circa 1970’s

Individualism and self-expression was important for people during the 1970s, no matter how much or how little money a person made. The largest difference between the types of individualism and self-expression in this era was most likely due to both class and taste.

Flagg-Brothers-Commercial.mp3

flagbros11 Flagg Brothers Couture   Circa 1970’sThe year was 1976, and style was in full effect for the Black man, as it had been for quite some time. In California, Flagg Bros provided the footwear by which style was defined. There were others such as Jarman’s, Florsheim’s, and Hardys, but Flagg Bros was widely acknowledged amongst the local cool cats, pretty boys and wanna-be Players as thee spot for shoes. “Kicks,” as we called them in L.A., were a necessary statement to set off the look of new vines (stylish clothing) and old glad-rags.

Flagg Bros was located in Huntington Park, at the corner of Gage and Pacific Blvd. Flagg Bros was known for introducing the hippest styles, in the baddest colors at a price you could afford. The selection was second to none. They sold stylish contemporary leather shoes with standard heels, in  Green, Tan, Orange, Burnt Orange, Rust Orange, Burgundy, Beige, White, Blue, Sky Blue, Red, Maroon, Brown, Yellow, even Pink, and of course, classic Black. Flagg Bros had it all.

flagbros2s 744x1024 Flagg Brothers Couture   Circa 1970’sA funky psychedelic rainbow of selective variety was always at your disposal. But the baddest, boldest, cold-blooded look of the day were platform shoes, made with and without “bubble toes,” offered in a variety of heel and sole styles, ranging from solid bases to laminated wood layers (and later synthetic neoprene), in a variety of solid colors, two tone and multi-hue blends, stitched patterns, with or without stipples, the choice was yours and nobody sold badder “stacks” than Flagg Bros. From tasteful yet sensible 3/4″ platforms to 3″ monster plats (aka Gorgons) as we called them, Flagg Bros supplied the funk. Slip-ons, lace-ups, zipper clad, ankle high oxfords to bubble-toe boots, Flagg Bros fulfilled your wishes.

Flagg Bros was the home of style, footwear and hosiery.  A pair of Flagg Bros shoes allowed everyday cats to compete with, and possess the look of, a Ganza Boy. That was the name for the real Pimps, true Players and serious Hustlers who had the money to be suited and booted by Eleganza,” (Chicago, 60609), the undisputed mail-order King and Mack haberdashery Mecca.

flagbros3s 744x1024 Flagg Brothers Couture   Circa 1970’s

flagbros7s 748x1024 Flagg Brothers Couture   Circa 1970’s

By 1982, platform shoes were played out, and the look of Ray Parker Jr’s (“The Other Woman”) album cover cued a transition. The 6-6 Impala, funky Pimp styling of a 70s Player and my 8-track tape was old news.  Now, it was all about being “fresh,” that smooth and suave laid back thing, with Jheri curls in a “Nouveau” style for that Belizean look, and music played on cassette in Dolby sound.  Oh, one other thing… The drink of choice now was Cognac. — Remy, warmed politely, served in a snifter. So long Flagg Bros, Zodys and Ripple.

The Flagg Brothers Ads are part of The Museum Of UnCut Funk Collection.

flagbros5s 744x1024 Flagg Brothers Couture   Circa 1970’s

Source: Rick James Roberts

The Museum of UnCut Funk wants to give a special shout to Hanako Iwahashi for sharing her photographs of classic Flagg Bros signage live from Bergenfield, New Jersey. Hanako it’s because of fans like you that we do what we do. Thank you!

Hanako Iwahashi Photo 2 Flagg Brothers Couture   Circa 1970’s

Hanako Iwahashi Photo Flagg Brothers Couture   Circa 1970’s

Subscribe to our RSS feed. Tweet this! StumbleUpon Reddit Digg This! Bookmark on Delicious Share on Facebook
  1. kevin camon
    June 20, 2010 at 2:08 pm

wow, i remember this like yesterday i was only 12/13 back then when i got my first pair of plat froms shoes. i looked like i steped right out of a flagg brothers, magazine going into high school then.

• Horace M. Ragin
      December 15, 2013 at 9:45 am

I was back there in those times………..I’ll be 55 my next birtday in 4 mos. I had a job making $100 a week and ordered all my clothes.shoes and hat’s fro Flagg Brothers.

2. jerome
    October 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I remember looking @ this catalog when I was 10 yrs old. Now I am 48 yrs old.

3. October 29, 2010 at 9:14 pm

This catalog was awesome.

4. Norman
    December 22, 2010 at 6:16 pm

We had a Flagg Bros. store on Market St. in Harrisburg PA. FB was THE store to get really, really wild-styed shoes in the 50-s-70′s era. They were the best, and you knew you had made it as a (young) man when you had your first pair. LIve on, Flaggs!

5. Jennifer Wright
    March 17, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Do Flagg Bros have a catalog so that I can places orders now.

6. Kim
    June 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I am looking for a kangol hat! can anyone help me?

7. walter harris
    July 9, 2011 at 8:39 am

attending a 70′s event weekend of july 16 is there a telephone ordering line?

8. reginald mcrae
    August 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Good to reconnect with you guys.I need a catalog so I can order

9. Aaron Quinn Cole
    August 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm

WOW..I can remember getting Flagg Brothers magazines…along with GQ when I was like 12…I wanted it all……Thank you for assisting in making me the well dressed gentleman I am…..

10. Dennis
    September 11, 2011 at 7:45 am

I used to work at Flagg and managed the store on main street in Rochester ny

11. Lenroe
    October 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I grew up in a small town in Oregon with my 5 btothers. We ordered a lot of our clothes from Flagg Brothers, Eleganza, or Bill the Hatter, but Flagg was the funkiest. Boy do I remember those days. Id love to get some of the old catalogs.

12. JJ
    February 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I had the one with the little aquarium in the heels. As a short but stocky young man, the shoes bistold me the power finally be able to get on the dance floor with the ladies! Unfortunately, I killed many of bait fish doing it. Stop laughin, I was cool (lol). What a way to end Black History month. Thanks for the site.

Cinderella Man

13. Joe Gray
    August 25, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Seeing a Flagg Brothers catalog after so many years brings back so many memories. I’m 51 and I remember buying my first pair of “heels” from this iconic store.

A young brother was not properly dressed when hitting the town on a Saturday night in Longview, Texas back in the day unless you had some Flagg Brothers gear to rock.

Reminesing is fun and when you can remember some of the clothing you wore. Flagg Brothers shoes, clothing, and accessories were so stylish it was makes reminiscing so much better.

I wish I had some catelogs to look through.

14. Brother E
    September 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I worked at Flagg Bros. in Boston @ the 495 and 596 Washington St locations from 75′ to 78. Had some great times selling plat to flat. Yo Brother Dave. Yo Brother Tony

15. Stephanie
    September 12, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I grew up in the suburbs of Philly. When my brother’s magazine came in, we used to go through it page by page. The women’s stuff was in the back and was mainly jump suits and drsses. But the SHOES! sigh… The shoes and the high waisted slacks were SHARP! What? You weren’t dressed if were weren’t all flyed out by Flagg Bros. And you saw a lot of that stuff on the original Soul Train… as Edith and Archie said…Those were the daaaays!

16. Rob
    December 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm

It’s true. I recall in the mid-to-late 60′s when the style was a “James Brown” suit in all kinds of pastel colors and ONLY Flagg Bros had the shoes to match. They were cheap (inexpensive?) and really, you didn’t want to get caught in a rain storm with them on or else the dye might come off or worse, the sole would become detached. When I tell kids nowadays about how high the heels were, they can’t believe it and to tell you the truth, in about ’73 or ’74 they had a wedgie sandle with straps that for all intents and purposes was a girl’s shoe but it sold like hotcakes to guys.

17. reggie
    December 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm

only thing flagg brothers didn’t have in their catalog was me posing.

18. NEWTON FORREST
    January 5, 2013 at 7:54 am

i remember my flagg booties and my banlon shirt,that was the match in those times,

19. harriett hood
    January 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm

i would love to get a fashion magazine for my brothers, where can i find one, they would love to place an order now.

20. Robert F. Meredith
    January 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm

i remember the days of flagg brothers, we were the shi* . if you wanted to be in the know all you needed to do was to wear fashions from the one and only flagg brothers, is this company still around.

21. curtis virgil
    August 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I have an old magazine magazine of the Flag Bro magazine was going to put it on ebay for sale…What is the market for this mag….

22. Joe Sherrick
    January 18, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Flagg Bros. shoe was THE place to buy cool shoes for guys in the 60′s and 70′s in Downtown Kansas City Mo. I remember they had cool shirts too, I’d love top see a picture of the loafers they sold with the white lighting strip on the side .

23. Odis Hamilton
    February 8, 2014 at 3:45 pm

can you still order items from the catalog?

24. G G EDMUNDS
    March 28, 2014 at 10:05 pm

SHOWS US POINTS SHOES AND THE MOUSE TRAP SHOES LATE 50S AND INTO THE 60S

25. May 18, 2014 at 2:42 pm

my experience with flagg bros. was this: they had 3 or 4 styles of ‘beatle boots’!! as soon as a young ‘hep cat’ could scrape up the money from mowing lawns, paper routes, or ‘hustling the parents’, a beeline was made to flagg bros. this obviously was well before the ‘pimp shoe’ period!
    NO 14 year old ‘hipster’ wanted to be caught dead wearing “queer shoes” (actually stated by my friend while arguing with his mom against “sensible shoes”) this was in silver spring, md! at takoma park junior high (before it became ‘middle’ school!) the administration actually tried to ban “beatle boots and italian shoes” not very successfully, i might add!! FLAGG BROS. WAS THE PLACE FOR ‘COOL’ SHOES! -pretty much the only place, really!!

26. Oscar Shaw
    May 21, 2014 at 9:45 am

Great look back! Thanks for providing the commercial link as well! You were not considered cool, back in the mid-seventies, unless you rocked the Flagg Brothers shoes or clothes! I could order on Monday and have them at the house in SC by the following Monday.

27. kelvinbonds
    August 24, 2014 at 10:44 pm

can i still buy fiag brothers clothes

28. NEWTON FORREST JAMAICA
    September 16, 2014 at 11:29 am

LA PARICEN WAS THE SUPPLIER FOR FLAGG BROTHERS BOOTIES IN JAMAICA IN THE SIXTIES